Here's a Brain-Buster for you!

This could possibly be the most obscure question pertaining to this group to-date.

Does anyone know what the angle (measured in degrees) of the rear seat- backs is?

A ridiculous diagram of the question might go something like this:

/ / Here's the seat-----> _____/

Reply to
Mister.Lull

Okay, here's the small version since my other one didn't turn out so well:

This is a side diagram the rear seat------> _/

Reply to
Mister.Lull
90* for (.)(.)

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

'are' not 'is'. Singular vs. plural. Or say "seat-back is?"

14.285 degrees, exactly?

Yes, it is rediculous!

Varies between vehicles and probably between models.

Reply to
PeterD

You wouldn't be talking the horizontal pokey, would you?

Reply to
PeterD

you can go to home depot or the like and buy a tool that can tell you any angle, i.e.

make sure the ground is level.

Reply to
jimmythelock

"is" not "are". Angle is singular. However your comment in the spirit what I think is the point being raised so unclearly-- semantics.

For a common value, 23 degrees off of the vertical seems to be a common number. I like more vertical.

I think the question being asked is what zero degrees is defined as? by implication is whether 0 degrees is vertical or 90 degrees is vertical. And if vertical is called 90 degrees, would the typical angle be about 72 degrees or about 113 degrees?

Or maybe the seat back angle is what is the angle with respect to the seat. Or maybe it is that angle minus 90 degrees.

The method implied in

wouldsay 113 degrees if the seat is horizontal, but it would be 108degrees if the seat itself were tilted back 5 degrees
would callthat 18 or 23 degrees.... its ambiguous.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Are you asking from vertical, or from the seat base? Why?

Reply to
samstone

Well, let's try redefining the question - since the original question has been answered with so many more quesitons.

If I want to build an enclosure and place it in the trunk, snug up to the rear seat, to what angle could I build the wall of that enclosure that fits up against the rear seats so as to maximize space within the enclosure? Again, since it was brought up by one of the more ambiguous responses, mine is the 2000 Jetta GL.

Thanks, Again, ~Mister.Lull

Reply to
Mister.Lull

His singular/plural agreement is just fine. "Angle" is the noun; "is" is the verb. "Of the rear seatbacks" is a prepositional phrase that relates to "angle", not "is".

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

but make sure the ground is level. Doesn't have to be - must measure the angle of the floor of the trunk and use that to adjust the angle measured off the seatback.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Reply to