hitch for 84 gti

looking for a trailer hitch for a 84 gti in chicago area, figured id ask here, maybe theres one in someones garage. i just want to use a bicycle carrier.

Reply to
erik litchy

The other option is U-Haul offers trailer hitches. But it might not be a pretty job, when I checked on my '90 Golf, UHaul would have drilled new holes into the floor pan as the unibody construction of the car meant there were no existing places to bolt on a hitch. I went for a

2nd hand roof rack for the bikes. But a trailer hitch bike rack was my first choice to reduce drag, easier loading, and being able get into the garage without having to take the bikes off.
Reply to
Tony49122

I used the same rack on my 1967 Beetle that I used on my A1 Rabbits. It bolted to the bumper. It had a removable bike holder with two brackets that the bike arm attached to. My Dad had a similar thing for his square tube camping trailer. So you do not get the fancy wheel clamp rack but it held my bikes just fine for years. I am sure if you are just doing a 2 bike rack with an 1.25" rack you could get a receiver tube bolted to the bumper. Just do not use it to pull anything. If it was me (a trailer hitch store would never do it for liability reasons) I might buy the receiver tube for $10, go to my steel pile and get a piece of 3/16 plate, weld the plate to the receiver tube, bolt it to the bottom of the bumper with two bolts. Just to hold bikes it will be safe. I am a fan of Nylock nuts.

If you were >>> looking for a trailer hitch for a 84 gti in chicago area, figured id ask

Reply to
Jim Behning