How do I remove 82 Rabbit Steering Wheel (with video)

I am trying to remove my 82 Rabbit diesel steering wheel and can't figure it out. I have removed plenty of steering wheels before but I can't figure out how to get this metal horn switch plate out of the way without bending it. It has a vinyl cover over it which I removed and one bolt that is visible and I believe 2 others that are behind this metal plate. It can't be that hard, but I am just stumped. Here is a 30 second video of my situation:

The whole reason is I am replacing the lower steering column bearing and already have the u-joint off, but I am having trouble removing the plastic bearing holder/sleeve. I want to get the steering wheel off to remove the steering column from the steering tube so I can have more room to work. I wonder if a little heat on that plastic and the end of the steering tube would help it come out?

Thanks for any help - I searched around a bit and didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Reply to
mjzraz

that plastic frame the metal is mounted into is held onto the steering wheel by three ( flared balls ) these knobs ( balls) are bolted into the spokes of the wheel - one on each spoke end about three inches in and then one in the top middle.. these knobs fit SNUGGLY into sockets on the underside of that plastic frame. It's so simple to install ( just push the plastic molding onto those flared balls ) YET the dang thing is very difficult to remove without breaking those plastic balls or that molded plastic frame. You can slip a thin screwdriver under the receiving socket from the edges and pop each socket off those ribbed balls ( one at a time ) and remove the molded plastic frame without any damage.. It's not easy and with the age of the vehicle I doubt you'll remove it without any damage :-( unless you go find a junker rabbit and practise and see just how it's put together ) good luck

Reply to
samstone

I had a feeling that it "just" popped off, but the darn thing was so tight I felt like I was about to break something - apparently I was... Thanks for the tip and I will try it tonight.

Reply to
mike.zaloudek