How do you remove front headrests from a 1996 Jetta?

I'm tearing down the front seats to swap the foam rubber/cloth, as the driver's seat is shot. I don't feel like shopping for replacement seats at this time. I've removed the cloth partially, and I see various springs, rods, clips, etc., keeping the assembly together. I love that horsehair-looking back pad (not). It doesn't smell too great inside that seat. Anyway, I was hoping to remove the springs that connect to the metal frame and slide the whole thing off, but I can't due to the headrests. Do they have to be disconnected from the inside? The rods won't come out, and I see no way to pry out the plastic receptacles from the outside. Thank you!

P.S. - The foam is badly cracked. Can anybody recommend a glue to seal it up a bit?

Reply to
JM_newsgroups

There's a trick to removing the headrests, but I can't remember what it is. (tilt them forward while pulling? maybe?) check your owner's manual if you have it. Later cars you remove the headrests by squeezing a tab on the plastic trim at the top of the seat, but I don't know if VW adopted that, and if so, when.

I know that I removed the center rear headrest from my '02 GTI for better visibility, but I don't have the car anymore and don't remember how I did it...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Answer:

The black receptacles have narrow slots visible from the sides on the seat back top. I subconsciously knew they had to be for something, and that would be for hidden cotter pins. You need to push the cotter pins out with a slender screwdriver. Then, the receptacles can be pinched and pushed thru from the inside of the seat back. VW REALLY didn't want those headrests to be easily removed. (Safety/lawsuits/ etc.?)

Reply to
JM_newsgroups

To clarify, you can pull the headrests completely off after the cotter pins are removed. Then, the receptacles can be removed. Hmm, I wonder if I'll remember to put the cotter pins back in.

Reply to
JM_newsgroups