Date for MOT price increase put back till november.

it was supposed to go up this month (October) but we've been told its been put back till late November but that could still change, so get your test done a month before its due as its due to go up from £44.15 to £50.35............thought that would please you !

Reg.

Reply to
reg

talk about stealth tax ...

Reply to
mr p

talk about stealth tax ...

Would you rather we all ran about in shitboxes that were falling apart?

Reply to
gazzafield

talk about stealth tax ...

(sarcasm)Yeah, it's much better to have the system they have on the IOM(/sarcasm), no MOT needed, but if you're pulled by the police and your car isn't roadworthy, then (supposedly) you're in trouble.

You should see the sheds running around over there......

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

exactly, it is only because people are too mean to maintain their cars properly that the compulsory test was ever introduced.

the test has become prohibitively expensive . Many of the cars that I run around in are worth less than a test !! No wonder many people don't bother to get a test.

I also realise that the cost of the test is barely profitable for some garages, but the value of the test in relation to the value of the car is the problem I have.

Eventually it will be the death knell for cars over about five years old and by then the manufacturers should be able to produce throw away cars, rather the same way that televisions and microwaves have become: none are fixed, just thrown away (they should be recycled) and replaced with new, that is how cars will be, probably in my lifetime, certainly in my son's.

Already I am amazed at the newness of cars that are put in the crusher, including x and y reg complete, undamaged cars, but presumably uneconomic to keep on the road.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Tony Bond (UncleFista) ( snipped-for-privacy@SPAMgmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Likewise with speed. No NSL - the GLF signs mean it - but if you stuff it and excess speed is deemed to be a reason, bend over.

Reply to
Adrian

My Carlton has an MoT but it's still a shitbox that's falling apart. however, not compared to a lot of cars I see in America many of which have no sills left.

Reply to
adder1969

Due to the weather conditions in much of the US, cars do last a lot longer, and rust can often just be cosmetic. Still, when I've been there, for my sins, it's surprising some of the cars you see on the road.

Reply to
David R

I think the crap that finds it's way onto Pimp My Ride bears that out.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I'm sure the majority of accidents are caused by bad driving, not faulty cars.

the DIY mechanic could end up paying this new fee twice, that's what worries me. AIUI you can't get real 'free re-tests' now. I would accept inflationary rises but if it goes up by the same percent each year I might get rid of one of my cars ( less tax for the guv'ment!)

now the MOTs are on a database and there'll soon be number plate reading cameras on every corner, the MOT could get very expensive, best write to the daily mail or somthgin quick!

Reply to
mr p

The message from "mr p" contains these words:

Difficult to put stats on, I would expect. After all, an accident which could have been avoided by reasonable driving might still have been avoided if the brakes were that little bit better, or the tyres oferred that little bit more grip or the dampers were that little bit better even if the driver's a complete twonk.

I suspect you're right though. Thinking about accidents I've seen I've yet to see one caused by mechanical failure. They're all down to pilot error. Except the time I had a lower swivel snap off on an Austin 1100 front hub when going round an unexpected roundabout. And even that wasn't an accident - I just ended up in the gutter with the nearside a bit lower than usual.

Reply to
Guy King

I'm sure the majority of accidents are caused by bad driving, not faulty cars.

the DIY mechanic could end up paying this new fee twice, that's what worries me. AIUI you can't get real 'free re-tests' now. I would accept inflationary rises but if it goes up by the same percent each year I might get rid of one of my cars ( less tax for the guv'ment!)

now the MOTs are on a database and there'll soon be number plate reading cameras on every corner, the MOT could get very expensive, best write to the daily mail or somthgin quick!

well to add further woes to the consumer i quote from an article from an MOT trade magazine we get , "Last week the government announced it would consider deregulating MoT fees, so that garages could charge whatever they want for the compulsory test."

Reply to
reg

well to add further woes to the consumer I quote from an article from an MOT trade magazine we get , "Last week the government announced it would consider deregulating MoT fees, so that garages could charge whatever they want for the compulsory test."

Reply to
reg

The message from "reg" contains these words:

I'm not sure that would be a problem - they already undercut the official maximum considerably in most cases.

Reply to
Guy King

The full fee (=A344.15) is payable for the initial test. If it fails on specific minor things (only) and returned before end of next working day, then the retest is FREE. If it returns later or fails on major things and returns within 10 working days then the retest fee is maximum of HALF PRICE (=A322.07).

If it remains at the test station for repairs and is retested within 10 working days then the retest is FREE.

If it is retested after 10 working days (whether taken away or left for repair) then the retest fee is the full (=A344.15) fee again...

MOT fee isn't purely based on inflation. It is based on the time it (should) take to test the vehicle correctly. The time taken is increasing every year as more items / procedures are added to the test.

Reply to
NT

reg ( snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.fsten.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I know of one BMW dealer who are an official test station, but don't actually do many/any tests - they farm 'em out to a small village garage, because the maximum test fee is nowhere near what the ramp can earn in that time on servicing...

Reply to
Adrian

NT ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hmmm. But many older cars don't have a chunk of the testable items.

Should the maximum fee be pro-rata'd according to the amount of the test that's actually done? If 1/4 of the test isn't applicable, you only pay £33...

Reply to
Adrian

Could be as early as 7th November, now. According to Stephen Ladyman, MP, Minister of State, Dept of Transport.

Links:

NT

Reply to
mrcheerful