tightening centre nut - should it get hot?

Hi. I need to tighten both driveshaft nuts on a fiesta but my torque wrench doesnt go up high enough.

i tightened them with a 1 ft ratchet and then gave each a further

45degrees turn with a 2 ft pipe attached to the 1 ft ratchet.i dont think i over done it (i fear breaking my new =A3=A3 ratchet)

i went for a 5min test drive and on returning checked the centre nuts for temperature. both were hot, but one was significantly hotter than the other.

how can i determine if this is due to a brake problem or a bearing prob? is it usual for hubs to be unconfotably hot in usage?

do the wheel bearings in front distort when overtightened a bit like what i read about those used for rear wheels?=20

thanks

Reply to
beerismygas

i tightened them with a 1 ft ratchet and then gave each a further

45degrees turn with a 2 ft pipe attached to the 1 ft ratchet.i dont think i over done it (i fear breaking my new ££ ratchet)

i went for a 5min test drive and on returning checked the centre nuts for temperature. both were hot, but one was significantly hotter than the other.

how can i determine if this is due to a brake problem or a bearing prob? is it usual for hubs to be unconfotably hot in usage?

do the wheel bearings in front distort when overtightened a bit like what i read about those used for rear wheels?

thanks

Are these taper roller bearings? If so, they definitely should not be overtightened. In fact, they should be only tight enough to remove play.

If they are ball bearings, then I would expect them to take a reasonable amount of tightness but I believe there is some distortion if you overdo it. If I myself was doing it without a torque wrench or a manual I would do them up as tight as I would a wheel nut. I would certainly not expect a 2ft bar to be put onto a 1ft spanner when doing up a wheel nut unless the person involved was of limited strength. A 3 ft bar (OK, less a bit of overlap) is a hell of a lot.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

yes i think i had held the common misconception that if the nut loosens itself, the wheel will fall off. now i think that what would happen is that the shaft *might* on full lock (i.e. when you are parking) disengage from the splines and make a hell of a lot of noise and grinding.

Reply to
beerismygas

yes i think i had held the common misconception that if the nut loosens itself, the wheel will fall off. now i think that what would happen is that the shaft *might* on full lock (i.e. when you are parking) disengage from the splines and make a hell of a lot of noise and grinding.

Reply to
beerismygas

Taper bearings don't usually involve a torque wrench.

Many are way outside the capability of the average torque wrench. Like near 200 ft-lb or so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)