Igintion Switch Recall Letter

I just received my recall letter regarding the ignition switch ('97 Passat).

Does anyone have any experience regarding how receptive dealers are to this problem. I noticed that the letter is very specific in describing the problem and strictly limiting it to the "electrical portion of the ignition switch".

In my car, there's certainly something wrong with the switch in that sometimes a connection is missed at start and the instrument cluster puts out a buzzing sound and everything is reset. Lately, I just noticed also, that if even without the key in the ignition, you can depress the switch cylinder and the radio gets power.

If anyone has any stories to tell, let's hear them. I'd like to be prepared and informed before "dealing with the dealer".

TIA-trebor

Reply to
trebor4258

The letter pretty much spells it all out, and yes it maybe causing your problems.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The pressing of the ignition switch and receiving some accessory power seems to be a common 'feature' Just because it is undocumented and produces no undesired results, does that mean it's still a bug?

--TW How else would you know that you can set the 4 way flashers, depress the brake pedal and apply an undefined amount of pressure to the turnsignal switch of some older domestic cars and receive accessory power?

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

So, if you're sitting in the car without the keys, presumably you're a passenger and would either be in the passenger's seat or in one of the back seats. All you have to do, if you want to listen to the radio is lean over, or up across the seats, press hard and hold in the ignition lock cylinder.

I love it! Can somebody add this to a VW "hack" website somewhere?

The only real difference between a feature and a bug is whether it causes undesirable results and whether or not it is documented. Make this one a feature!

trebor

Reply to
trebor4258

Well, personally I like doing them because I can beat the clock on that job since we have the correct puller to get that sleeve off the steering colum. Plus, don't be surprised if the dealer takes a quick look at a few other things on your car to try and sell if needed... brakes, belts, maybe a fluid flush... your call if you want them done or not.

You will be getting your problem fixed for free, pretty nice.

Reply to
Pencilneck

The factory radio comes on with no key required and will shut off after 20 minutes if the key is not turned on. Not much of a hack to press the lock cylinder (only works while depressed,) it seems to not affect any other accessories in my car, but then again, I have no real accessories in my car besides the sunroof. (it doesn't break if you don't have it)

--TW

Reply to
Tundra Wookie