Jetta throws belts... WTF?

Here's a strange one... My '92 Jetta Digifant threw the crank-to-A/C drive belt while at (..ahem) speed. I R&R'd it on the side of the road with a spare. In the dirt. In the heat. And the flies.

Anyway, I noticed how the water pump pulley was about a half-inch out of line with the plane of the other pulleys. I replaced the waterpump about 80,000 kms ago and never noticed this problem. All the belts were replaced two years ago. So I used washers to shim the pulley into alignment with the others.

Have any of you ever heard of this before? Why would the water pump pulley be out of register with the other pulleys? I'm heading out on another 1200 km drive on Thursday...

Thanks for any suggestions...

Ken

1992 Jetta Ken's Digifant Page
Reply to