Looking for a Westfalia newsgroup

Our first VW - a 1984 Westfalia - and it has a few problems. I am not familiar enough with other VW models to know what 'common components' there might be which could have the same problems, and therefor the same answers ..... or questions .... so, a Westfalia ng would be preferred IF there is such a thing.

A search for a ng with "Westfalia" in the name found nothing.

Suggestions?

Ben F.

Reply to
Ben Fullerton

The best resource by far is the Vanagon mailing list. Find out how to register for it at

You can also read archived messages on that site.

The Vanagon is pretty much its own design, and doesn't share too many components with other VWs. The wasserboxer engine, for example, was only used on the Vanagon.

Reply to
BrianW

"The wasserboxer engine, for example, was only used on the Vanagon".

Thank Gawd! Vernon

Reply to
vtuck

snipped-for-privacy@tucklings.com wrote: : "The wasserboxer engine, for example, was : only used on the Vanagon".

: Thank Gawd! : Vernon

Sounds ominous! Time to check my manual and see if I am 'blessed' with one of those in my '84. My "Bentley" manual does mention it .... but maybe with reference to some of the other model years??

..... and thanks to the previous post for the suggestion re the website and mail list. That will be my next stop.

Ben F.

Reply to
Ben Fullerton

Yes you likely have a wasserboxer (unless its a diesel of course), and one of the nastier ones (1.9L).

If it made it this far then it's had the heads done - usually the worst of the problems. Keeping the damn thing cool is the chore - the cooling system is a Rube Goldberg nightmare. Keep an eye on the temp and coolant levels and *dont wait* if they start to act up - git er fixed.

Fuel tank mount bushings are another thing to watch. If you smell gas or rattle excessively then it needs a fix - about 3 hrs labor (plus a few cheap parts).

Reply to
HooHa

All gas powered Vanagons from mid-1983 have those. All gas powered Vanagons through early 1983 were the Type 4 aircooled engine, dating back to the late

1969-1974 411/412 cars.

If you have two grilles (instead of one) up front, you have a watercooled Vanagon. All of these watercooleds (except diesels) were the Wasserboxer engines. The diesels were 1.6L Golf/Jetta inline-4 units (I believe these were probably 1982-1983, maybe 1984...?). The diesel was another horror. Good engine but far from the right engine for this vehicle (esp. because most in the US were 4-speeds and not 5-speeds). Probably the best Vanagons are the 80-early 83 aircooleds from a reliability standpoint.

Reply to
Matt B.