Major coolant freak-out RIP VW Beetle 2000!??!

and they melt too when there's no coolant in the block.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

They also leak pretty good when they have holes in them !

;)

Reply to
JGW

Heres what the doctor said !

Water pump - RIP

Coolant parts - RIP

Bill for the above $700 Ouch !

Now for the other thing. Either the head gasket or the head is cracked (white smoke coming out of the exhaust). To replace the gasket = $1000. To replace the head = $3000.

Christmas is cancelled !

Anybody ever tried this stuff below ?

Mr.JGW

$1000 to replace the headgasket is over priced not unless you live in a BIG metro area. Labor for the head should be around 5 hours time. Consider a used head maybe...

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thanks thats what I thought too.

Have been ringing around to the smaller dealers seeing if I can get the cylinder head and gasket replaced for under $3000.

Also good idea using a used head - thanks.

JW

Reply to
Mr.JGW

This poor guy couldn't be lucky enough that this is the same part as a VR6, shouldn't Gruven have their metal replacement ready any day now?

nate

Lost > and they melt too when there's no coolant in the block.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

That's probably is and FWIW it's plastic on my '91 Mk2 GTI too, so the plastic dates back quite a bit.

Reply to
Matt B.