Naive question!

I put too much oil in my Golf (standard 1996 1.8 engine). On the dipstick it's gone beyond the hatched area, up to where the stick straightens out. I can't find the handbook but I seem to recall dire warnings if you go beyond the recommended amount? I was obligated to make a short trip out and the car is running better than ever.. so I'm wondering if this is something I need to correct, or am I within safe thresholds and I can forget about it?

Furthermore, to expose my utter naivety... I've never drained or changed oil before. I would like to do this. I'm assuming it's just a cap underneath the engine? Do I need a jack?

TIA

Reply to
Paul Dormer

That's not enough to worry about.

HTH Steve

Reply to
sehaare

Here's a picture

Would really appreciate some advice here

Reply to
Paul Dormer

Yeah, you'll want to drain some of that oil.

On the underside of the engine, you'll see the oil pan.. There is a bolt on there, just loosen, let some oil drain and youre set. Just make sure to check your dipstick to make sure you drained enough or didnt drain too much.

MiVE

Michigans biggest VW Enthusiast club

Reply to
Cap crnch

Don't worry, just drive!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Cheers everybody! You put my mind at rest.

Reply to
Paul Dormer

Damn, I should have looked at the picture first. MiVE

Michigans biggest VW Enthusiast club

Reply to
Cap crnch

It's a VW....it will leak out anyway....

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I agree...especially on an older car...you'll probably burn through it and/or it'll leak out in not too much time.

Reply to
Matt B.

Not that we want to encourage that sort of thing :) Actually it's been good with respect to oil loss - just a few ml every 4 months or so. I only meant to put in a gloop.. oops!

Reply to
Paul Dormer

Hehe :-)

Reply to
Paul Dormer

No, No, you are all wrong, a VW doesn't leak oil, it just marks it's parking space :)

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

Never picked up a lot in school, but I remember they told me not to fill up with oil until the oil was at the lower mark and then just fill a quarter. Anyone who knows why this is??

Reply to
Baudolino