84 scirocco stalled Pls help

My 84 scirroco stalled at an intersection yesterday. I tried to start it and it did start but immidiatly stalled. I tried this several times before I pushed it off the road to a parking spot and left it. I went back to it today and tried to start it but it only rotates but will not go. I checked the fuel, fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay, and battery connection. All seem good. Any suggestions. Peter

Oh... I have noticed the quiet whirring noise that comes from the engine wene you turn the key to the on position is no longer there.

Reply to
peter rittscher