NB New single cd player

This is a new from VW for the beetle: single cd in-dash with full mp3/cd/cdrw compatibility -- does anyone know if this is available for retail sale? I'd really like to have mp3 ability in my 99 NB, but have been told that due to peculiar wiring in the radio installing an aftermarket unit is strongly not advised..

Reply to
Drew Dekreon

It is available from VW....to the tune of $900 CDN....

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Gave up on it - new Crutchfield catalog has a specific kit for changing out the OEM receiver. Wireharness, dashboard plastic to match up, everything. Bought a Kenwood CD/MP3 and new 2-way & 3-way speakers. Got $50 off (all parts kenwood), plus 10% off (some promotion), and all the installation gear necessary. Total package $200 incl s/h. Only hitch: supplied instructions failed to note you have to hook up the antenna amplifier power lead or you don't get AM radio. 800# help line had correct complete information.

Pete Cressman wrote:

Reply to
Drew Dekreon