Need help with 2002 Passat GLX problems

Hi all,

I got some problems with my car, and need some advice.

  1. Last night the trunk opened with a loud click, then I closed it to reopen. And now it does not open. The trunk button on the remote works, I hear it trying to open. I use the key but it just won't open. It is 35F outside, would the lock freeze at this temperature? I am thinking about bringing it in to a dealer, but how would they open it without destroying my trunk lid? Is there a way to open it from inside?

  1. The other day I changed the air filter, and it was a pain. For such a common task, I had to remove many parts yet it still did not give me enough space to put the filter in. Finally I managed to install the filter, but I am still not comfortable because the air filter cover gave me a hardtime closing. Is there a way to know if the filter is in its place?

  2. Last night I also realized that the "daytime running" lightbulb in the right headlight is out. It is not easy to access, I will have to remove all those parts again :(. These things should be easy to replace, what would I do if it happened on the highway? By the way, I did not see the specs for the light bulb in the manual. Does anyone know?

  1. The car has 33K miles on it. During the 20K service, I was told that the brake pads had 15% left in the front and 20% left in the rear. I still don't have a problem with the brakes, no light is coming on or I do not hear any noise. How long do these brake pads last?

Thanks for your help, Kagan

Reply to
Kagan Gokbayrak

You can get decent information about lights from:

2001 Passat GLX had the trunk solenoid fail the second week, apparently an high failure item (at least the factory original). I suspect that the cold weather is a coincident. The low beam failed on my car and I replaced it 3 years ago. Both the trunk solenoid and low beam (in fact all the lights) still work fine. And I think that removing the air filter and right head light are awkward, but not so bad once I knew how to do them.John

Reply to
John H

snipped-for-privacy@bu.edu (Kagan Gokbayrak) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

What's the state of the warranty on your car? I had a main headlamp bulb go out on my '02 Passat and had it replaced under warranty. The bulbs aren't ->too expensive, but like you said, getting to them is a real trick.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Updates:

I had the lightbulb replaced for $6 only. The air filter, I was told, seems to be properly installed. The trunk lock is broken, unfortunately:( I do not know how much is involved with that repair. And my rear break pads are almost gone, yet the break pad warning light is not on!!!

Reply to
Kagan Gokbayrak