Need: Pass. Door Handle 86 Cabby

Any one got one for sale? Will the door handles from the early Golfs fit?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike Hellmund

I believe the door handles were all the same from the first Rabbits(Golfs), Jettas, Quantums, etc. through the 2nd gen. Just be careful of some of the cheap replacements. I got one in which the lock cylinder didn't fit right, and the key didn't return to the horizontal positon by itself. I ended up using one from my old Rabbit.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

From my experience the ones from early Golfs/Rabbits do NOT fit. There is a clearance problem between the locking device (v-shaped thing) and the glass and door lock. Basically since the top of the door does not have a channel for the top of the glass (like the golfs/rabbits have) the design is different. With some Golf/Rabbit handle the locking device sticks out too far and the glass will hit it for others the locking V misses the lever in the door for the lock. You can swap over the V from your old cabby handle and on some aftermarket handles it will work but save yourself the time and aggravation of trying to find out which ones and just pull a handle from an old cabby in a junk yard (just two screws). Also you can check vwvortex.com someone is always parting out a cabby there.

HTH Steve

Reply to
sehaare

I have interchanged handles from '81 Rabbit, '88 Jetta, and '88 Quantum. These work fine. I can't speak beyond that, but when I went to order one, the vendor said that all the Rabbits, Golfs, Jettas, and Quantums at least through '88, or '92 for the Golfs/Jetas, were interchangeable.

Ed

Reply to
Ed