New heater core producing bad smell

Installed my new heater core on Monday and got a rude surprise. An acrid smell from the vents that I find downright irritating for my eyes, nose , and throat. It appears as soon as the engine warms up (which makes sense). No, it's not leaking coolant. I know what that smells like, and my windows aren't fogging. I called the parts dealer where I purchased the part, and he said he's never heard anything like it, but promised he would refund my money if I want to return it. If it doesn't clear up by the weekend, I guess I have no choice but to go back in there, and yank it out.

Anybody experience anything like this before??

Car is ' 91 Passat GL Automatic

Ken

Reply to
NOSPAMbcdog

The one on my son's 92 jetta was replaced by the dealer last year, thanks VW, and it has a bad smell also. It might be the paint on it. It's not gotten better also.

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

Was the area where the heater core resides cleaned out well? How is the insulation around the heater core?

Did it have this smell before you changed the core?

dave

Ken- Funny you should mention it......I replaced the core in my '93 Corrado in June. It had a 'funny' smell from the first start-up and still has a little of it after all these miles & hours. I used a genuine VW part AND, while I was at it, I re-newed all the foam-rubber 'box seals' that had long ago crumbled off of the failed core........for this I DID NOT use genuine VW material....just whatever I had laying around. The third posted response to your question answers, I think, where my odor i coming from. Did you install any foam strips on your core? I'm glad I did, even if it is the source of the odor, it makes it possible on a hot day to select 'no heat' and turn on the fan and get air thru the system that's at outside temperature......the deteriorated strips on the failed core were letting heated air thru at all settings, I just didn't know what the cause was until the core blew. -phil

Reply to
PHILTOPKS