New owner of 98 Passat 1.8T

Hi, I just purchased a 98 Passat 1.8T (136k miles) and I am in the process of changing plugs, filters and oil etc. A few questions:

- I read (in this news group) about sludge build up in oil/pan - I drained the oil, it was very black but not unusually "thick" - any advice how to proceed?

- Oil leaks around the turbo air lines (front right of car), how much leakage is acceptable, I assume the turbo seals are at fault - any advice?

- Right front axle, is it sufficient to replace the outer CV boot or is it better to replace the whole axle .... (and what size allen wrench do I need for the wheel center bolt (13 or 14mm?), and where can I find/buy it?)

- Shifter handle moves (right) to "manual" mode by itself (i.e during sharp left turn) - any advice on how to fix?

I appreciate any advice you may have - thanks!

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus

Remove valve cover and take a look.

When turbo leak oil it's blue smoke out the exhaust. But you may have the oil lines leaking

$500 for new axle or under $550 for the boot kit. 14mm or 17mm

needs complete assembly- pricy

Reply to
Woodchuck