New VW Quality

I currently own a 99 Jetta that has had almost every problem ever reported - multiple times. 6 window regulators replaced, 2 brake sensors failed, glove box hinges have snapped 3 times, cat. converter failed after 20K miles, required a tow 4 times, etc, etc, etc. It was enough to make me swear to never buy another VW again.

I am now in the market for a new car and the Golf would fit my requirements perfectly - good cargo space w/o being an SUV, fun to drive, and great mpg. There really are not many choices in the hatchback market without going to these "sport wagons". The problem of course is the absolute horrendous quality control present in my 99 Jetta. I average 8 trips to the dealer a year for unscheduled maintenance. The dealer has been great and I have paid no more than $50 out of pocket for all these issues. But I do not need to be on a first name basis with the Service Department. . .

Has VW quality control improved over the last 4 years? Am I just in for more of the same if I buy a new Golf?

Reply to
ecoitall

more of the same if I buy a new Golf?

The Golf is the same car as your Jetta, just the hatchback version.

However, being that the design is now entering its 7th model year, the kinks that were inherent in the early '99s (e.g.: underdesigned window regulator clips) should all be worked out by now.

While buying a car at the end of its model life (the new Golf V is out overseas now...we will get it in another year or so) means that soon the bodystyle will also be "dated" by comparison, it does have the benefits that you will be owning something that has less unknowns about it.

Reply to
Matt B.

Based on CR and other studies, it appears that VW has moved up from close to the bottom to about the middle for their current cars. I am happy to say there has only be one issue with my 2002 NB and that was fixed in about 60 seconds about a week after I bought it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Rob Guenther

That's exactly why I recently bought an '04 instead of waiting for the Mark V. VW seems to need a year or two to get the "bugs" out. In particular, even when the model has been in Europe for a year or two, the first year over here seems problematic.

On the other hand, I think the original poster just got an old fashioned lemon. I am on my 5th VW and never suffered like that....

Reply to
micweb

I don't think so... Consumer Reports still calls most VWs sub-par in reliability.

They may be a little better, but that's not saying much when you start near the bottom.

Reply to
93 Fox

I have a 03 Golf with 35,000 miles. Only problem was rear washer hose leaked and was fixed by dealer free. Everything else is great.

99 was the first year for this body style - I think most of the earlier bugs are worked out of the Golfs/Jettas now.

Next year they will sell a new version of these cars so for the sake of reliability, now may be the time to buy.

VW's will probably never have Honda/Toyota/Subaru reliability but they are acceptable in my opinion and more fun to drive and more solid in other ways.

TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

I'm curious about why you object to "sport wagons." Not that I'm defending them, particularly. But they seem to meet your functional requirements and at least a few of them come from companies with better reputations than VW for getting trouble-free cars out the door.

[snip]

I bought a '99.5 Jetta a few months into the new-model cycle. In 2003, I replaced it with a Jetta Wagon. The '03 felt better in any way you could think of (well, except for that pain in the checkbook). Peppier, controls felt more solid and smoother, ... and while I didn't have that much go wrong with my '99.5 (GL, so I avoided the window problem), I did have the rear-middle seat-belt problem, the glovebox problem, the crappy-radio (non-Monsoon) problem, a warped rotor, and a few other weirdnesses, including a failed central security module that let the car arm itself whenever it chose to do so. Strangely, I consider it the price of owning a VW.

The '03 had a duff shock absorber, had the plastic window clips (replaced proactively), has one power window that "bounces" at the top of its travel almost reproducibly, and was missing a fastener where the console meets the accelerator pedal (catching my pants leg). In

18,000 miles, I have not had MAF problems or crappy-radio problems or some of the other frequent maladies. I think VW has shaken out the bugs, though for some inexplicable reason, they keep bad parts in inventory way longer than they should.

The wild card here is that my '03 and your Golf are manufactured in two different places. Not like nationality has anything to do with quality of manufacture, but it _is_ a variable.

I don't think you're in for more of the same. You know the road will have a few bumps in it, but, with a decent dealer and a three-year bumper-to-bumper warranty, you should avoid the worst unpleasantness.

sd

Reply to
sd

Man...what a horror story!

Surprised you'd even think about another VW!

Our 2002 Jetta Wagon had one problem with the radio being improperly secured or connected, and setting off alarm. It is a 2 liter, and uses a lot of oil, and did since new, but The car now has 50,000 miles and has no other issues. I consider that pretty good.

Reply to
Tony Bad

I have a 2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed TDI. I had a dead horn, a leaky cv boot and a dead seatbelt. All fixed under warranty. The car is nearing

60,000 miles. I am satisfied. More warranty items than my 87 Toyota pickup but all the PU had was ac. Does not have oil added between its 10,000 mile oil changes and it gets 50 mpg.

"T>

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Mark V. VW seems to need a year or two to get the "bugs" out. In particular, even when the model has been in Europe for a year or two, the first year over here seems problematic.

Which is a shame. That used to be the case with domestic cars only and not import brands, but it looks like VW has fallen into that trend.

Maybe VWoA's been in Michigan a little too long? :)

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

The marketing departments run the corporations of this world. Just read Dilbert.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

\

Can't speak about newer ones, but the old ones rusted away while the mechanicals remained in good service. I drove 2 to the junkyard because they were so badly rusted they had become dangerous, yet they started perfect and every accessory, from power windows to A/C worked as new.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Well I think you have a decision to make. As an owner of both vw and toyota, I can tell you that its a choice between what is most important to you.

VW is much more fun to drive than a toyota.

However, on the other hand, toyota quality is far superior to vw.

VW looks much nicer than toyota.

Toyota will cost you much less in repairs and dealership visits.

Both cars have their positive points, vw with its unique looks and fun to drive personality. And toyota with its quality, dependability, and resale value.

No honest toyota owner will tell you that a camry is more fun to drive than say a GTI, and likewise, no honest volkswagen owner will tell you that vw are as reliable or as well built as a toyota.

You need to make a choice on what is the most important factor for yourself and see which one you want. Happy shopping!

Reply to
mark

Don't know if a Toyota is any more well built, might use some better quality parts underneath, and they are more reliable. Look at the panel gaps around the doors and the hood/trunk of a VW, then look at a Toyota - the VW has the Toyota beat there - VW gaps are super consistent, and very tight, i've seen some misaligned Toyota's, and the gaps are a bit wider... The interior furnishings are nicer in the VW's too. Nicer seat materials, better looking plastics, the switches look nicer (I hate big rounded off, sticking out buttons... looks like a kids toy that way -might not be of as good quality electrically tho... who knows). I find the radio in the newer VWs to be of better sound quality - wasn't impressed with the Toyota I drove with the premium JBL equipment, my Golfs Premium IV system with in dash CD sounded nicer.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

My 01 GLS has been great...67k although. they still haven't fixed the glove box hinges!:)

Reply to
guth