Timing belt Quality

Is there cheap, good , better, best timing belts, like most car parts ,something that last longer then the others or all they about the same.

Reply to
verndog

Most of the VW's when made come with t-belts made by Continental and I think the replacements maybe made by Gates! I would purchase a t-belt by who made it and not the price. Personally when I do the T-belt on my 99 GLX Passat

2.8l V6 I'm spending the extra $$$$$$ for VW's OEM! NO SHORT CUTS HERE!
Reply to
Woodchuck

There is the OEM timing belt that theoretically lasts 80,000 miles. They haven't been on the market long enough to verify this, so I'm going to change it at about 70,000.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

Of all the parts that you might think of going cheep with, the T-Belt would be THE LAST.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
verndog

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Buy parts from a VW-dealer. That's the best quality (=OEM) you can get.

René

Golf GT 1.8 16v 1982 Scirocco GT 1.6 1981 (just sold) Vento GT 2.0 1994

Reply to
"René G.

I figure that, since VW is on the hook for 70k+ mile warranties, they will put in belts that will last that long or a bit longer. So, I buy T belts from the VW dealer parts counter. I buy OEM belts from the respective dealer for every make of car I own. If I have the time, I usually let them install them too. Why? If it ever lets go, I have "one throat to choke".

Your follow up post clarified that you were looking for best quality and not low price. I recommend the OEM approach. The dealer price was only about US$25-US$40 or so. Actually, the serpentine belt in my Jetta cost more than the t-belt. Go figure.

Good Luck, Mike

verndog wrote:

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to