No Brake Lights

Hello, the brake lights on my Golf are not working. I checked the fuse and bulbs. The reverse lights also seem to be out. Any ideas?

Reply to
Ears

In no particular order:

Bad Ground. Corroded socket(s). Broken wire.

Do you have a VOM? If so (Very Carefully) check to see if you have 12V at the socket. You will need two people to do this. One at the socket with the VOM, the other on the brake pedal and the shifter. Put one probe on a sure chassis ground (any body metal), the other on the button contact (base) for the lamp. You should get 12V. If not, a broken wire somewhere. If you do, a bad ground.

I have a Fluke VOM with very nice alligator-clip probes for getting a good ground. But this is very important. You can check this by putting the VOM on OHMS, making your ground connection, then putting the other probe on another ground. If you get 0 or very low resistance, you have a good ground.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw