OBD Code Readers Question

Seeing that my local dealer wants $90 just to read the ODB codes in my '01 Jetta, and knowing that readers are available for not too much more than that, I'm inclined to pick one up.

Is there a real advantage to letting the dealer do the reading? Will doing it at home work as well? Any general hints, cautions, etc., will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Running

There is one advantage and that is they know what there looking at. Also They having the ability to flash your ECU as where the other ODB2 readers are just scanners. I suggest buying Vagcom from Ross Tech, its $199 with the software and cable.. can't go wrong there, when you will have all the ablilitys of the dealer.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

I used a laptop version with my jetta. It hooked up to the serial port. It worked fine for fetching the trouble codes and resetting the light. If you're not a mechanic, but are mechanically inclined, you can usually look up the code on the Internet (such as

and get some ideas on how to fix the problem. For detailed diagnostics (i.e. what is the actual voltage of some sensor or other measurement) you'll want a more sophisticated tool than what $90 will get you.

Reply to
Dino

I use the ACTRON scanner that they sell at Sears and Autozone and most every other FLAPS. It tells you what code is in, what it means (in a kind of cryptic language - like O2 sensor no activity - for exampls), and it can reset the codes.

For $90 you can buy one. After one use it pays for itself. A 2001 machine should not get too many MIL codes. If you had a 98 or 96, you could surely save money by buying your own scanner.

The other thing to consider is whether or not you would be fixing the problems yourself. Some shops/dealers will not charge for the "diagnostic" if you are going to have them do the repair. Sometimes. If you are planning on doing a lot of your own repair work, then the scanner will come in handy.

Reply to
Jeff

I've been debating which one to buy myself. At the very least, a code reader will let you know if the CEL (Check Engine Light) is something which requires immediate attention or can wait, and just perhaps it is something you can handle yourself. I would like to be able to, for example, get codes from the ABS. I don't think the OBD will do that. Maybe I'm just too cheap to shell ou the 200 bucks for the one with all the bells and whistles. gf GF

Reply to
greenfoot

you can buy Ross Tech Vagcom for $99 but its version 3.14 then guy a cheap Vagcom cable off ebay for $40

Reply to
Lee