OBD I ( not OBD II) codes question

on the 95 GLX's, with OBD I, will any code cause the check engine light to come on? Or only emissions related codes? I think OBD II is different, and lights up with any codes stored. Right?

I suspect my secondary coolant pump is not working, I believe it should code on the OBD I, but don't have a light indicating any faults.

In otherwords if the check engine light is off, does that mean there are no codes to be pulled on an OBD I car?

Thanks! Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (An Clar)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

Will the pump set a fault code, NO!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (An Clar)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

Put a test light or volt meter across the pump connector! If you got voltage and you can't here the pump run then it's bad. It's that easy.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Doh, I guess so. I was trying to hear it with the engine running (:p

Thanks!

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (An Clar)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

from memory it should only run after the engine is off to lower coolant temps. There would be no need to use it when engine is running, that's the job of the regular water pump.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Well that would make sense, unless the back of the head has water flow problems. I understood the pump to run at all times, not just shut down.

What I do know is that even on cool days, the rad fan now runs after shut-off, so I can't hear if the pump is running, and there is gurgling from the block....no coolant loss though. The gurgle (especially) is why I suspect a seized pump. The fan? It may be an additional symptom, or something else.