OBD on Ford Escord from 1995

Hi

Does anybody have any information about the protocol and electrical interface of the On Board Diagnostics on a Ford Escord from 1995? It is equipped with a Zetec 1.8 engine. Is it OBD-II compliant?

Thanks, Svend

Reply to
Svend Meyland Nicolaisen

Built where? No stickers under the hood? They tell what system it is, on NorthAmerican cars.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It is built in Europe, Germany I think. It has as 16 pin connector where 7 of the pins are physically connected.

/Svend

Reply to
Svend Meyland Nicolaisen

Well, then!

courtesy google, ET 10 seconds

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Note:

Should be ISO 9141-2--The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 4, 5, 7,

15, and 16.

Additional pins do NOT mean it isnt compliant to 9141

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Well I have found that page too but how can I be sure that the information corresponds to my car. The page says it apllies to cars sold in US.

Another thing is that the connector in my car is not "D formed" but rather "formed as a square".

/Svend

Reply to
Svend Meyland Nicolaisen

Well, here's the search:

You can play with it.. but I'm afraid, unless Pottsy has a clue to it, you're not going to find ALL the answers on here.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

My plug has connectors as follows, where * means connector and - no connector:

  • | *
  • | -

- | -

  • | -
  • | -
  • | *

- | -

- | -

If I try to apply this to the connector specified on the web page I can get two possibilities (because I habe no apparent indicator of pin 1).

The first posibility is:

3 - 4 Chassis ground 5 Signal ground 7 ISO 9141-2 K Line 8 - 11 - 16 Battry power

The second posibility is

1 - 6 CAN High (J-2284) 14 - CAN Low (J-2284) 13 - 12 - 10 J1850 Bus 9 -

Neither of these posiblities seems to make sence.

So my hope is that someone can shed some light on what these specific cards are equipped with. The worst case senario would be that it is some sort of proprietary system of Ford in Europe.

/Svend

Reply to
Svend Meyland Nicolaisen

Hiya,

Autodata Europe shows it as a 10 pin D series plug.

maybe a search by engine number or chassis number??

pottsy

It seems like it is a EEC-IV unit which is installed in the car. I don't know if this gives anybody any clues?

/Svend

Reply to
Svend Meyland Nicolaisen

hiya,

If it's a european unit then maybe this autodata cd and the service manuals will give us some pointers. Try the engine number if you have it. What's the problem with the car anyway?

pottsy

Well the problem is rare (but occationally) erratic idle speed and a general incurable curiosity.

Where do I locate the engine number? (Sorry for a potentially stupid question.)

/Svend

Reply to
SMN

hiya,

the engine number is usually on a plate on the slam panel (the bit at the front that the bonnet shuts on)

erratic idle speed can be lots of things, check for air leaks, then plugs, leads, air filter, fuel filter, throttle position pot, pcv valve thingy,,,,,,, what's an "incurable curiosity"? is this the technical term for "what the 4rk is wrong with this car"??

:)

pottsy