VW and OBD II compliance

What do I need to read/reset the check engine light ?

Is my 02 Passat 1.8T OBD II compliant for scanners ?

Can my friend's MAC OBD scanner get a flash upgrade to allow it to read the codes ?

Reply to
Steve Georgiou

With a scanner, or better yet, a VAG-COM

All vehicles sold in the US as model year 96 or newer (and some sold as 94 and 95) are fully OBDII compliant. Period.

Any OBD2 scanner should be able to read the codes. However, some codes are VW specific. The methodology of reading VW specific and generic codes is identical. Despite this, some scanners will ignore non-generic codes. You'd think a MAC OBDII interface would be better than tha,t but I just don't know.

Reply to
notme