Passat owners - how do you like them

"Rob Guenther" wrote in news:y0sYc.1122$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Ours had about $3000 worth of random stuff go bad between January and June. It's a 99 with 150,000 miles.

It a wagon with the 1.8T and the triptronic transmission. It has decent power at highway speeds (when the turbo is spooled up) which always tricks me into thinking it's going to have enough power to pull out into traffic from a stop...

Bob

Reply to
bob

Same problem with the stick shift, feels real quick on the freeway, but it requires a lot of aggression to get the same power in the city. It is there, just forget about shifting until the red line.

Reply to
Baudolino

We've had 4:

-92 4 cyl/5 speed

-01 6 cyl auto (totaled)

-04 6 cyl auto (traded)

-04 TDI.

Each one has been flawless. The 92 served us for 213K miles. Donated it to charity a year ago, and recently got a phone call from the current owner...stll running great in another part of the state. The only time it ever failed to get me from point A to point B was when the timing belt failed at 180K miles. The original clutch lasted more than 190K.

Put 50K miles on the 00 before an unfortunate encounter with an interstate guardrail. Zero problems and a very powerful V6. When the insurance check arrived, didn't even consider another model and got the '04. When I took it in for it's first oil change, the dealer had one TDI in the showroom. Instant trade. It has been flawless too. Gets 40+ MPG on the hwy, 35 overall.

Others may have different experiences yet, but I've not regretted a single dollar spent on any of these cars.

Reply to
libertyroad

I have an 01 passat 1.8t. Got it at 45K cause I could'nt afford a new one. And got the 1.8t cause I knew gas prices would go up. We'll now at 60K Im saving on gas since the car need a new motor. Yeah If you get a used one make sure you have all the oil recipts and have deep pockets for bad days. I can only tell you drive it and you'll get it. From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
badapple

"Baudolino" wrote in news:ch37s2$2m2$ snipped-for-privacy@nntp2-cm.news.eni.net:

With the automatic, you can't rev the engine before letting out the clutch. It's that initial getting the car going where it's a slug.

If I drove it all the time, I'm sure I'd get used to it, but it's the car my wife drives.

Bob

Reply to
bob

That first line is pretty funny. It should really say the 92 was flawless.

That's because it is a MANUAL. AUTO slush boxes suck!!!!

I can see why you traded in the V6, it's a no brainer. The first oil change trade really gives it away. I can't see that beast being reliable past 100K miles. Too much engine for the coolant system and space in engine compartment hurt the VR6 to be any long lasting unit. They always ran hot even when within tolerance. I can imagine the V6 and VR6 not being DYI friendly. I like the 4 cylinders, more room and less heat.

40+ and 35 overall means you still own a TDI slushbox. Granted that mileage really sucks for a TDI but it's an auto. The good thing is that I hear the TDI automatics appear to be more heavy duty so you should be okay there but I don't think you will win a MPG or mileage race with them.

FWIW, never get an automatic unless you trade it in before you reach 50K miles. They are usually not long term transmissions.

All my VWs and the Jeep are Manual and are easy to work on.

Reply to
Peter Parker

What? Even if the PO was a raving lunatic and never changed the oil, just adding oil. It still should have lasted more than 60k miles. Is sounds to me like someone drove it and the timing belt broke. Don't blame it on the PO for the actions you take.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I disagree about the 4 cylinder running cooler. That's part of the issue with the 1.8t sludge issue since the turbo really cooks the oil.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I have a V6 Tip. (I live 3 miles from work, so I don't notice the fuel costs much) The automatic behavior can be a little annoying for around town driving - slightly jerky shifting during both acceleration and braking. I think the thing's trying too hard to "learn" how I drive, while I'm trying to adjust to how it shifts. However, this is the

*only* complaint I have. Fantastic on the highway, plenty of torque, very comfortable, gorgeous inside and out. It's a keeper. If were to do it over again, though, I'd get a stick. (The Tip was on the lot, and I didn't want to wait to order one.) I think I may get a Tip chip, even before the warranty expires, just to get from almost-perfect to perfect.

I'm not sure cloth w/heaters is an option? Maybe in Canada?

The Monsoon is very nice for CDs, the radio is just OK.

Only your speed on the highways - at least with the V6, 90 mph is too easy to reach without noticing. ;-)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

What constitutes "local" for you? I get more like 15 mpg local, but it's lots of short trips with traffic lights and such. On the highway I can hit 30 mpg if I'm careful, but usually more like 28.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I'm about as local as one can get.

1- I live 10 miles from work 2- grocery shopping is 6 miles from home. 3- Parents are 9 miles away. 4-etc
Reply to
Woodchuck

Similar to towing an infinitely heavy trailer...

"Rob Guenther" wrote in news:7bpZc.18068$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Reply to
bob

Mike Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

I don't know what ours gets local, but on a trip, our 1.8T auto wagon will get 30 mpg at 80 mph. But with premium gas costing 10% more, I suppose it's really more like getting 27 mpg....

Here's a real tip for the OP -- Check the underside of the car in the front. It's long, low, and heavy, which means it's easy to bottom it out on a parking lot entrance. My wife did that to ours, and something got bent so the camber is permanently out. It also did $400 damage to various plastic trim parts.

I feel lucky about that though. A friend of mine did the same thing and cracked the oil pan. You don't want to know how much that costs.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Too bad. :( I thought the older 95-96 Passats with TDI had manual?

Reply to
Peter Parker

That's because it has a turbo... You have to let the engine run for a few minutes before you shut it off. Most owners are mechanically retarded and unknowningly abuse the turbo vehicles. There are aftermarket products that will do that for you?

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
Rob Guenther