put regular gas in my deisel Jetta by mistake

My wife put regular gas in our 2006 Jetta TDI. What are we in for to fix this?

Reply to
drhowell

is one of Sources for Advise.

Reply to
Igel

I'd look more into it but I thought there was a recent thread where someone said you can add lubricants to the gas in your tank and it'll run fine with out doing any damage.

Good luck.

Reply to
DruG

here's a relevant thread

DruG

Hmnnn. I thought the nozzle sizes at the pumps (gasoline or diesel) would prevent this from happening by being matched to the correct size filler on the vehicle. Leaded gasoline and unleaded gasoline pumps were that way when leaded gasoline was still being sold.

Anyway, I think you will have to have the tank drained and the fuel lines purged. This is not a DIY task (too dangerous).

Reply to
Papa

Reply to
none2u

Yes but you can only do that one way. make one larger than the other but it won't prevent both from going into the other...only one of them.

Like let's say (hypothetical example) gasoline was 1/2" diameter and diesel is 3/4" diameter.

Therefore u can fit gas into diesel but not diesel into gas. You're not going to be able to make this mutually exclusive.

That said, gas put in diesel isn't as horrible as diesel into gas, and the pumps (hopefully) are designed that way. Most diesels (well, back in the old IDI days, not sure about SDI, TDI, etc) will tolerate some (up to a certain percentage) gas in the mix. Gas engines however will tolerate pretty much zero diesel in the mix.

Reply to
Matt B.

Check your owners manual too. Sometimes they actually address this situation (what is acceptable for diesel should gas get in there).

Reply to
Matt B.

Don't hold me to this,on the specific exact amount. Because I don't have my

85 Golf manual here, I'm too lazy to find it. I know it says adding gas is ok. but I think in there it says In very cold temps, up to 3 gallons or
Reply to
none2u

Makes sense. Maybe someday one of the nozzle types will be rectangular in cross section. ;>)

Reply to
Papa

yep...square peg in round hole...doesn't work :)

Reply to
Matt B.

Every time they make a "idiot proof" anything the idiots evolve a little more! Now your 2006 tdi is a PD (pump Diesel) that is a totally different animal from the "85 golf" that people are talking about. Bite the bullet and have it drained before you incur big repair bills.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I did this to my 82 rabbit. We just drained the tank, took the line off the pump and purged it, took the lines off the injectors and purged them. Then we put diesel in the tank and bled the air out of the lines, hooked them up and away I went. Sounds easier than it is, but it can be done.

Dave

Reply to
ironhorse

have dealer drain tank & lines, and install new fuel filter. Figure about 3 hours labor time. The PD engine is no where like the old VW diesels including the TDI. PD injection pressure can be in the 25,000psi... so any gas in the fuel isn't a good idea unlike what others say isn't OK %.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Here are the steps I would follow:

  1. Call AAA or any tow service and tow to your dealer.

  1. Dealer drains the tank and replaces filter as per woodchuck.

  2. Let wife pay bill or get wife a new brain transplant. You can DIY transplant since you are a doctor.

  1. If this problem happens again, repeat except get new wife or change her meds accordingly. Changing meds would probably be cheaper.

Reply to
Peter Parker