question about plasic molding

I'm posting this question for my mom, she has a '96 Passat. The cup holder in the front broke and she was wondering if any glue would hold it. Her mechanic said that no glue ever worked on the plastic molding pieces. That they're impossible to glue and she should just get a new one. So I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with this? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Archangel

There is a product called "Plastic Surgery". It works well for repairing broken plastic.

Reply to
Mystic

Her mechanic is correct. Even if the glue appears to work OK, it will come apart in a few days. Get your Mom a new one.

Reply to
Papa

That stuff only lasts for a very short time. Unfortunately the plastic parts used in automobiles are just not meant for gluing because of their chemical makeup and their high density.

Reply to
Papa

if this is the cupholder thats on the side of the console, I think

has them and they're usually cheaper than the dealer.

Reply to
Matt B.

I have had some very good luck with many of the plastics using a good slow setting epoxy glue. Some plastics work well with a good Super Glue, but most of what you can buy today is weakened.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sent that a little too soon. I would likely try the fix since I have the epoxy on hand, but expect to buy a new part. You may even find a part in the auto recycle yard.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks for the responses I'll tell her the results and let her decide what to do.

Reply to
Archangel