95 Golf oil light???

The oil light is flashing way too often on my 1995 Golf. Doesn't seem to be leaking or using oil. What else might be going on???

Thanks! dan

Reply to
d. freem

Oil too thin, oil pressure too low.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Could be that you are low on oil or are using an oil that is too thin. Beyond that, it could be a bad oil pump, worn crankshaft bearings, or a defective oil pressure sensing switch. How many miles do you have on that car? If it is beyond 200,000 - then my guess is that you need a new oil pump. That is more likely than worn bearings.

Anyway, don't drive the car until you get it fixed. Otherwise you are risking a blown engine. A new oil pump is cheap by comparison.

Reply to
Papa

So to follow up, what weight oil is in it? IIRC the lightest spec'd for the 2.0l is 10w40, but I've always run 20W50 in it since it seldom gets below freezing where I live long enough to need 10w40.

If that's not it, maybe the oil pressure sensor or it's wiring is toast?

If those aren't it, I see larger expenses in your future :(

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

The only way you will know for certain is to remove the oil sender and install an oil pressure gauge. If you don't know a mechanic who has one buy a cheap unit and install it temporaily to find out what gives.

Reply to
John Smith

Reply to
andy