questions about brake repairs

I don't know much about cars and have taken mine to the dealer for service for 30 years. Sadly, the local VW dealer is so lousy I have to do otherwise. Today I took my 2000 Golf 1.8T into a local shop for a oil change and state inspection. He said that while it passed inspection, the front brakes were badly worn; the wire on the brake pad would fall off any day now. So I had him replace the pads and turn the rotors. The rear were okay.

1) Is $250 a reasonable price for pads and rotor turning?

2) 2 years ago the dealer told me the rotors were worn. He said the Golf rotors were very thin and can't be turned, so he replaced them. I asked the guy today about that; he said they were plenty thick, and there was no reason not to turn them. Either the dealer or the guy today is lying to me; I am pretty sure I know which, but perhaps someone can let me know for sure.

3) The guy today said he felt some pulsing when he test drove the car after installation, but it would probably go away in a few days when the new pads set to the rotors; if not, he would have another go at it. I can't feel any pulsing; is this anything to worry about?

Thanks.

Reply to
John

Including labor? not bad. even better if that included flushing the hydraulics (as VW recommends)

Not sure, but on the older models the rotors can be had so cheaply through the aftermarket that if there's any question about their utility, into the trash they go. Haven't checked prices on anything newer than an A2 yet though.

Maybe... could be a rotor warping. If you do feel it it probably means it's time for new rotors. Make sure the mechanic also used a torque wrench when he remounted the wheels.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

For pads and turning rotors it sound a little high. Most of the time we replace the rotors because there isn't much thickness from new to worn out. The last time I checked there is only about 2mm to play with so we feel it's a better value for the owner to replace the rotors with new. Also rotors if turned correctly will not pulsate! If you local shop turned the rotors I would be worried if they are thinner than VW's min spec.

Reply to
Woodchuck

FWIW I've always followed the practice of just changing rotors at every other pad change (unless the pads are/were worn enough so that the rotors got damaged). Not saying it's right or wrong but it's served me well so far for 14 years on my '91 GTI doing it this way.

Reply to
Matt B.

Check out this link.....

Earl43P