rabbit door panel will not come off

Hi all, I am hoping once again that you may be able to help me out as you have in the past. I am trying to get the interior door panel off my 83 rabbit- however I am having one problem. The control knob for the side mirror will not come off. I have tried prying as well as it turning it and yet it does not want to come off. My manual is of absolutely no help either, it just says "remove control knob." Easier said than done apparently. I have not really manhandled it because I don't want to break it. Can anyone tell me how this thing is supposed to be removed.

Thanks-chris

Reply to
Chris

IIRC the outer ring of mirror adjuster simply just un-screws , to get it removed.

Reply to
samstone

Knob is round, plastic and about 3/4"? AFAIK it should pull off but maybe some glued it on. You might be able to pull the panel off over the knob and its seal.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! A picture would help. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Sorry no poicture. I believe it is a metal ring, and is about 3/4 inch round, inside it has four small notches spaced evenly around on the inside bit of the ring. It makes me think maybe there is a certain tool that can grip them??? Also the door panel is definitely not going to come off until that ring has been removed. I will give a go at trying to unscrew it again but I can't seem to get a good enough grip on it to turn it more than a couple of degrees. Thanks to both of you for your help.

-chris

Reply to
Chris

Sorry but I just don't remember then. It has been too long since I have really seen a Rabbit (first generation USA Golf) and those remote control mirrors were rare.

A picture would help, but the Bentley repair manual should have some info. Brain flashback.................... I think you are right and that 'nut' will need to be turned CCW to come off. Maybe some pliers covered with tape to protect the chrome, or needle nose pliers or a screwdriver with a small hammer to tap it CCW very carefully. Maybe two screwdrivers in two opposing slots using one to leverage the other to unscrew it.

good luck,

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Got it. It unscrewed, and came off easily once I knew what to do with it. Thanks again guys.

-chris

Reply to
Chris

oops I found the update. Glad you were successful! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1