Radio Woes

Hello all, I was wondering something about the stereo in my '99 Golf GLS (new style). A while back, the treble and bass controls seemed to have set themselves on a setting and I can't get them off. When I hit bass, it says "+D" and the treble says "+3". I've tried everything and I can't get them to change. It is this way on the radio (AM/FM), cd changer and cassette. I read in the manual about setting up programs for each function, but it didn't go into any detail as to how to set up those programs.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or maybe even an answer, I'd be very grateful. Thank you in advance.

Mark Currie

Reply to
Mark Currie

I can't say that you are have the same problem, but there was a very similar problem with Audi "chorus" (IIRC) radios. It had a bug in firmware, which caused it to save audio settings to the internal flash memory too often, which in turn "weared" it off, as the flash memory withstands only limited ammount of "writes".

Could be also your case. Or maybe not, my crystal ball is somewhat foggy today :)

Reply to
draugaz

Wouldn't disconnecting the battery reset the radio?

Reply to
Warren Abrey

just make sure you have the security code handy before you do.

Reply to
Matt B.

hmm.. security code eh? I bought the car used and the security code's not available. Can I access that information through the dealer?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Currie

Look through the owner's manuals really good...might be a sticker stuck on a page in there somewhere.

The dealer can do it though anyway (but it's good to know what it is in case you ever need it). He'll just pull the radio and run the S/N thru the computer and get the code that way.

Reply to
Matt B.