RainX

What's the deal with RainX ? Do I really need it on my cars windshield...it came from the dealer with it on....

could they have put it on too thick? I seem to have a blurry windshield early in the morning when the dew has covered the w/s and it takes forever to get it dry by using the wipers...and no, it's not my eyes...I can see just fine!

it won't wash off....how do I remove it?

Reply to
Learstead

I'm sure many other readers will disagree, but I personally find products such as Rain-X to be more trouble than they are worth. The most important thing for windshield clarity is to make sure your windshield is really clean: free of grease, exhaust fume deposits, wax build-up, etc. Clean it thoroughly with a non-ammonia based glass cleaner. If you use an automated car wash where they use that multicolored spray wax, clean the windshield as soon as you get home to prevent wax build-up.

You might try such a non-ammonia cleaner in an attempt to remove the Rain-X that's already there.

windshield...it

Reply to
4Motion

With considerable difficulty.

You might get some improvement with solvent-based (as opposed to ammonia based ) window cleaning fluid. However, the silane end of the organosilane that I believe is the active ingredient of RainX bonds extremely well to the glass and you are only going to get it off completely with physical polishing. An option might be to re-apply the RainX (it only lasts a few months). Otherwise use a lot of elbow-grease, or get the windscreen replaced...

BTW: are you *sure* its RainX which is non-wetting coating? The 'blurry' symptom sounds to me like an aging anti-fogging (i.e. wetting agent) treatment, old RainX gives droplets IME. In this case ClearVue, or a similar window cleaner may do the trick.

Charles

Reply to
Charles DH Williams

Wash your windows with coke, it will even work as a really good engine degreaser. Seriously, coke works, no joke.

windshield...it

Reply to
Mustangbrad

windshield...it

If it is Rain-X, then just wait a few months. It doesn't last that long. I found it goes hazy as well. This haziness diminishes with a repeat application of Rain-X, but some people still don't get on with the stuff. I did like the water dispersal properties enough to keep using up the bottle, but my wife didn't like the effect, so her car doesn't get treated. I probably won't buy another bottle, when it's finished. It's a swings and roundabouts product!

Reply to
Laurence D'Auvin

;;;wipe wipe wipe;;; Siiip Gulp Aaaaah ;;;wipe wipe wipe;;;

:)

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

I've used Rain X over the years and I find it performs as it claims it will. You are suppose to apply the stuff to a clean windshield then go back and wipe the glass down with a clean rag. If you apply it then don't do the second step, I think it would haze over some.

When I had a Beetle that lacked wipers, Rain X was a life saver, water would just roll right off the windshield, didn't need wipers.

Reply to
Pencilneck