Re: Passat's Engine Cut-off

How nice!!! V6 4Motion has a top speed of 238km/h (148mph) probably on a flat surface... Mine is not 4Motion so it should be lighter and would expect to see 150+. This is really bad. I should remove it as soon as possible. I called VW information center and they told me even W8 has the limit ;)

Reply to
Kagan Gokbayrak

Don't forget to change the tires. I believe the US version come with the T-rated tires, good for speed upto somewhere near 130 mph. BTW I found that the published maximum speed is normally not the real max. My BMW 518i had a max of 195 as opposed to 175 according to the manual. So, I would try to get it up to 160 mph. And I thought the 155 mph limiter was a stupid idea, who makes the rules here??

Reply to
Baudolino

Oh, come on. A 1.8L engine pushing a sedan at 195 mph? You sure that wasn't 195 km/hr?

That's a German thing. The major manufacturers have a "gentleman's agreement" with the government such that, as long as they voluntarily limit their cars to 250 km/hr, the government won't mandate it. Nice, huh?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yeah, I'm mixing things up here, the BMW could go 195 kmph, 20 over the published topspeed, so a passat should be able to go 160 mph. Time to change over to the metric system!

Yeah, but I believe Porsche and Opel aren't in on the deal.

Reply to
Baudolino

Porsche is exempt IIRC. OTOH, Opel is such a big company, I would imagine that they must be part of it, though.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith