Re: Problem with repllacing starter

>By wider, do you mean the starter case diameter? If that's the case you have >the wrong starter for the car. The older VW starters were bigger diameter >and the bolts were 8mm allen.

I agree 100%, you said it was a rebuilt Bosch starter....doesn't it make sense that if they rebuilt the original style starter it would be the exact same as the old?

I personally would sit them side by side and compare and even match up the Bosch part #'s from the cases. Should be exact.

Reply to
Simplstupd

You could try buying different bolts. If you have a place in your town that specializes in fasteners (here in Billings, we've got a place called Fasteners, Inc.) you should be able to get some Allen head bolts with the matching thread pitch.

Just a suggestion . . .

Reply to
Matthew Senn

Yeah, that's cool. Still, something is wrong with the flywheel.

--Chamberlin

Reply to
jbrianchamberlin

did you change the bushing inside the bellhousing?

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

That what inside the what? I just took out the old starter and replaced it with a new one. I was supposed to do something else?

--Chamberlin

Reply to
jbrianchamberlin

If its not a self supporting starter (used in automatics) the support for the front part of the shaft if a bushing inside the bellhousing.

(or am I confusing with older models?)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

No, I think you've got it. The tip of the stater slides into an insert that is pressed into the bell housing. A new insert is often supplied with the 'new' starter. I wonder whether the grinding is coming from the flywheel or inside the tranny. Are the teeth on the flywheel worn?

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Darryl...

The new starter had some cardboard tub around the tip but I took that off and threw it away. I placed it into the spot where the old starter came off. Thought that was all I had to do.

--Chamberlin

As far as the teeth being worn.. I don't know. I thought I had a starter problem so I just replaced that. I assume the teeth you are referring to are inside the engine where I stuck the end of the starter. I don't know if they are worn or not.. I didn't even check.

Reply to
jbrianchamberlin

In my experience, I've never seen a starter with so much play in the bell housing that I've had to replace the bushing. Don't worry about it.

Yeah, you can see a few teeth with the starter out. I wasn't paying attention to this thread earlier--does the grinding only occur when the car is being started? Did the starter come with a new solenoid? It should have. Here's a funny question--is your clutch pedal out of adjustment? IIRC, there should be 6 mm free-play at the pedal (i.e.,

6 mm before the clutch starts disengaging).

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Here's the deal...

Had a bad alternator. Didn't know it at the time, thought it was a bad voltage regulator. That wasn't it, the battery died and found out my alternator was going bad. Once I got the car started again, it started making the grinding noise when I first turned it on. I replaced the alternator and ordered a new starter. Still had the grinding noise but eventually it stopped. Got the new starter and felt like I should replace it anyway so I did. Well, the noise started up again. It's not constant though.. just like with the old starter... it does it on a few starts and then not at all. I don't know what the hell is going on.

--Chamberlin

Reply to
jbrianchamberlin

It could be the bushing, or the flywheel. The bushing can be easily checked, it gets egg shaped and will cause grinding, like he has. Unfortunately, the starter has to come off . the cardboard was to protect the shaft that goes in the bushing the fit is exact. If it was cardboard and not your new bushing. A nick could stop it from going in. You visually check it by looking in the hole with a light for wear. its easy. There a puller to get it out, I rented one once at the auto parts store for a rabbit.and tap a new one in with a hammer . My last one had a bushing on the new starter where your cardboard ring was at however mine wasn't bad, and I didn't change it. The flywheel is another story, you have to check the teeth for worn off or corners broken off. by turning th engine by hand with a ratchet and socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt and checking the teeth. visually also. I don't know if you can see them anywhere else besides the starter hole. Sorry..

Reply to
verndog