Re: reinstall cv joint - project execution report.

> I also noticed there is a 5x5x20 cm metal cubic installed in the middle of > the control arm body just below the right axle shaft. I removed it so I > could better reach the axle. I don't see its purpose. Does it serve as a > balance weight or sth else? Does anyone know this? > > One important experience I gained is: don't try to remove the ball joint, > remove the three mounting bolt on the control arm instead. > > Now I'm ready to drive my beloved 253,000 miles Jetta for another 20,000 > miles at my new job at Mercedes Benz starting next week. > > cheers, > Ben > > "

The part you describe is a harmonic dampener of sorts. Folks remove them all the time, although it might pay to consider why it was there in the 1st place.

btw- i found out the hard way how easy it was to remove the three bolts you describe. On early (A1) cars i can slip the axle out with some aligning of the hub/wheel and such, not so on later cars though.

btw II- Redline makes some CV-2 grease, synthetic. I rebuilt the last two CVs on my car with it but haven't had it on the road much past a few thousand miles since to verify it's longevity.

TBerk

Reply to
T Berk