replacing '87 Golf exhaust

hello all

After an exciting time in a ditch and after I was pulled out by the trailer hitch and a tractor I found I had lost my exhaust, to be accurate the rear section the first box is still on but he other box is gone.

Question: the last exhaust was a midas cheapie and didnt last more than a few years but the car is aging and I dont think we will be together much longer so a stainless steel number is out of the question ?what would be my best strategy in this? Get an original eqipment relacement from a dealership and pay to have it installed by Midas or a small independent shop or just get another Midas replacement OR is there some clever alternative I am not clever enough to think of?? Like getting a different type of exhaust straight through perhaps? I still need to pass emissions testing however?

Thanks for so far

Michael

in Toronto

Reply to
mkl1

Check prices on all possibilities Cheapest is probably ordering aftermarket exhaust parts and installing them yourself or having Midas do it. Best is probably the Techtonics SS or even purchasing parts from the dealer and installing them yourself or having Midas do it.

JMHO but exhaust places, like Midas, usually cost the most in the long run since their parts seem thin and only last 18 months to 3 years. AND these places take a simple 3 part system (after cat. conv.) and add about 4 more exhaust pipes to the system. The muffler is free for life, but these additional pipes cost $$$. 8^o

Reply to
One out of many daves

Order the parts on the web and take it to ma-pa shop to have it installed. These places won't spend time shopping for you they will just quote OEM parts. IF they say we need to make a profit on parts so we are going to charge more for labor when you supply your own--GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Just install the parts your self. these are easy. There is basicly 3 sections. But if the exhaust manifold and cat section are gone or injured do have someone else do the whole thing.

There is a clamping mechanism between the cat section and the middle muffler. Remove and replace it with everthing new to the very end--both mufflers and the tail pipe. It will be to difficult to separate or any of old stuff in the two rear sections. These two sections just hang from rubber and hooks so its easy to just drop them both if you can get up an jack stands and under it.

You will have to replace with same looking, (not cheaper performance replacements if you need to pass a visual inspection. At least that is the way it is in the US. The hot rodders around here run a single pipe back to a full flow universal muffler from the cat section out the backof the car. Often this will pass a CO/HO inspection if a visual is not required. This can be done for 1/10 the price. See ebay for Golf performance mufflers as an example.

Reply to
Henderson