Replacing Compressor 93 VW Cabrolet

A few months ago I backed into my wifes VW Carbriolet and messed it up pretty good. We had the body work done and the car is running, but I cracked off the hose that runs to the evaporator. I seriously doubt there is anyway to repair it so I'm thinking I need a new compressor or my wife will never drive the thing in the summer. Is this a hard job? I know I'll have to take it somewhere later to be charged, but I should be able to at least replace the unit for now, right? I've done an alternator and starter... nothing like this though.

--Brian

Reply to
B. Chamberlin

No comments? Anyone?

Reply to
B. Chamberlin

It's not a hard job to do. Just remove the Alt first and then the compressor. I can do it in about 2 hours... so double that for the DIYer.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Not the easiest job without a lift.

Reply to
Dave

"B. Chamberlin" wrote

You may have meant ' another' compressor. Personally, unless money is no object, I would just get a used one. They are even on VWs in pull it yourself yards, probably 3 or 4 in the yard I visit occasionally. They want like 10 or 15, 20 bucks for a compressor if you take it out yourself , so, that is where I would go if you want to save money. You will need O rings too if you do it yourself, imo.

You need a *new* receiver dryer too since the system has been open for an extended period. Is this R12 oe R134, I forget the year it changed? You really could do a classic retrofit with the new receiver drying and the proper oil for the compressor by having the system completely apart - as one example option using PAG oil in the compressor if it needs a retrofit or if you want to do one. Other opinions will differ.

Harry

Reply to
Harry