replacing timing belt question

I am attempting to replace the timing belt on my 1992 Cabriolet. I have removed the top cover, but am having a hell of a time removing the lower. I removed the 4 small allen bolts on the crankshaft pully, now I can't remove the large center bolt. the pully keeps turning. I have found no way to keep the pully still while turning the bolt. I read in other posts that the center bolt shouldn't have to come off. But I don't see any way to remove the pully without removing the bolt. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Eric

Don't take the center bolt off! Pulley maybe stuck so soak it with wd-40.

Reply to
Woodchuck

And you have to lightly pry or lightly tap on the pulley and it will start to come off of that hub. Be careful when you do this. A light touch should work for you and go around the outside edge of the pulley. Don't bend anything!!! Some pulleys need to be pulled off with 2 long bolts, but I don't think that your pulley is that type.

No you shouldn't need to remove that large center bolt unless you are changing the seal too.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1