Scirocco / Corrado

Does anyone know off hand if the starter in an '84 8V Scirocco can be used in a '88 Corrado G60?

My son's G60 starter is on it's way out, and he happens to have the Scirocco one available.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

I don't think so; a 'roccet is an A1 chassis and a G60 is somewhere between an A2 and an A3. Since the front engine mount changed between A1 and A2 I'm guessing the starter is different (they bolt to the starter, you know) However, this is not a 100% positive answer, just a guess.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I was afraid it might be something like that. We may just wait for it to completely fail, then pull it and SEE if the other one will go in there. He's been roll-starting it about half the time lately anyway. Just takes care in parking. If it were starter-less for a few days, it wouldn't be a disaster. I drove a Scirocco for a couple of months without a starter.

Thanks.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

The G60 uses a 02A gearbox, Scirocco a 020 gearbox. Starter looks the same but is different in many ways. Sometimes a bit of grease helps it from sticking...

SFC

"William J. Leary Jr." schreef in bericht news:v-ednZjUoplFZy3ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
SFC

You may want to just pull the starter and see if you can clean it (you can buy electrical parts cleaner at a good parts store - similar to brakleen but won't attack the varnish on the windings) lube the bearings, brighten and undercut (if necessary) the commutator, and see if it will live again. If the brushes are worn I don't know of a good source, sadly. Likewise for the solenoid. Used to be you could buy parts like this separately for just this reason, but seems not to be common anymore.

If I may offer a word of advice, stay away from the cheap parts store remans. I'd almost rather take my chances with a "good used" junkyard unit. If you need 100% reliability, consider taking it to an auto electric rebuilder, if you have one around, or else buying a new one from a VW specialty place or foreign auto parts place. Changing the starter is not the end of the world, but IIRC you will have to support the engine with a floor jack and big block of wood. I never changed the starter on the G60, but I have changed them on my old 'roccet and also my old 16V GTI, both were a little frustrating but not outside the realm of possibility for an all day remove - clean - reinstall party some Saturday.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The actual problem is that the previous owner sheared off the connection which closes the solenoid. That is, instead of a post to put the plug at the end of the wire on, there's a hole which you can (usually) force the wire to connect to. However, the more times it fails, the harder it is to get a connection. During each new failure, it becomes intermittent for a few days or weeks then quits entirely. We've been expecting it to get to the point where it can't be reconnected.

As to the other, I've actually rebuilt starters (I'm an old yard tinkerer sort), but it's not a job I have any interest in doing again.

Good advice. The same I usually give.

The starter he's got is out of an '84 Scirocco I sold him. I replaced that starter, with a genuine Volkswagen (Bosch) one about 10K miles before selling him the car. The car is now dead, but that almost new starter is still in there.

Me too.

I've been considering pulling it, pulling the solenoid end cap, and welding/soldering/whatever a wire onto the point the lug used to be connected to. That would solve the problem. I'd resisted that because I've been suspecting there's something else wrong with it too, but now that you mention it, it wouldn't take all that long, and if it works it saves buying a new starter. And if it doesn't work, it proves there are other problems.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

could you swap on the solenoid from the 'roccet starter? might save you some tinkering, and you might not even have to pull it from the car.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What a great idea. Thanks.

I'll look into that before pulling the whole thing. And even if I do pull it out, it'd probably still be easier (if it'll fit, of course) than doing an assembly/disassembly on the solenoid.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

I like good used units myself. Somehow the cheap remans are sloppy and poorly rebuilt with cheap parts.

Reply to
Peter Parker