Self Adjusting intermittent wipers

01 GTI

I really hate the intermittent wipers. They seem to be too slow when they should be faster, and too fast when they need not be. Can these be overridden so I can set them myself (I know, RTFM!) or do I have to just put up with it?

Reply to
philt2112

Same complaint with the '00 Passat.

One observation though: ours definitely got worse at "detecting rain" after awhile. I have yet to verify it, but I think road film, and wax have made the outer surface of the windshield glass dirty where the sensor is. The sensor is an IR beam which is reflected back to a receiver eye. When rain gets on the glass, less IR is reflected because the droplets of water allow the IR to refract to some other angle. I think when you get oil/crap/wax on the glass, it drops the "normal" luminosity, and the system has less of a change to key off of.

So, now I'll go clean the glass where my sensor is and see if I'm right! Someday soon. Really.

-Arthur

philt2112 wrote:

Reply to
Arthur Russell