shift linkages/bushings

Hi, my 90 Jetta carat has sloppy shifter and when it's cold it's a little clunky getting into 2nd and 3rd. And when i'm really tired after work sometimes i'm starting to have a little trouble putting it in reverse (i hear it start to grind while the clutch is as far as i know IN.)

I'm just wondering if I need bushings or some other hardware as well and if there is any kit that is better than another and any other tips, other than not to try to train my daughter anymore on it...

When I'm starting out and its cold i need to rev it to 3500 in first to get a fairly smooth shift into 2nd...

thanks, irv

Reply to
IR

Adjust the clutch cable first. If you need linkage pieces then check them all out. Some of the pieces will come in kits. The hardest ones to do are either just below the shifter and the bushing in the front of the long rod. The others are pretty easy. ;-)

Grinding going into reverse does not sound like a linkage problem, it sounds more like a release bearing problem or clutch problem. That could also explain the clunky feeling shifting into 2nd and 3rd. Try selecting 2nd before trying to engage reverse.

How does it shift with the engine off?

Reply to
One out of many Daves

hmmmm Sounds a little more like the clutch then. Of course it still could be the linkage and engine/trans mounts. Under a load the engine/trans might twist causing the linkage to bind and have difficulty getting into gear. But Reverse should be done from a dead stop and no load on engine. So I would still think clutch and/or release bearing. :-(

At least check and repair linkage and mounts first though. ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Sloppiness most likely means the linkage is messed up. The linkage parts don't last forever, not by a long shot. The good news is they are dirt cheap (the kit which includes most of them can be had for I'm just wondering if I need bushings or some other hardware as well

Could be misaligned linkage (note that you can't properly align the linkage if its shot, so the first thing to do is replace the linkage and then re-align it).

The grinding problem may be related to the clutch or the tranny, its hard to tell. First replace the linkage and align it. Then make sure the clutch cable is properly adjusted. I can't imagine its the release bearing as someone else said, but heck, they are pretty cheap and easy to replace (jack left front of the car up as much as possible -- no really, as much as possible, remove left front wheel, pry the green end cap off the tranny -- some oil will come out, the higher the wheel is, the less oil will come out, using a magnet pull the release bearing out. Installation is as they say, reverse of removal. The wheel bearing is probably about $8, and the end cap maybe $10-15 (you are supposed to replace it everytime its removed).

The other possibility is your syncros may be going bad. If thats the case, you may want to try bettter transmission fluid (heck, you may want to try better transmission fluid anyway). The best stuff to get is Redline MTL (its roughly $10/quart), you need 2 liters, but 2 quarts is good enough. Some people have reported very good luck with MTL curing syncro grinding. You fill it by removing the 11mm bolt that holds in the speedo cable and then pulling out the speedo cable (might need to turn and pull a bit). Once thats off, drain the tranny (requires a 17mm Allen wrench/hex key to remove the drain plug). Note: Do *NOT* pour fluid down the hole in the bellhousing with the green plastic "bolt" no matter how inviting it may look -- its your clutch, and you'll be doing a clutch job soon after if you do that.

Reply to
blah

Thanks much guys, sounds like great advice.

Irv

Reply to
IR

Reply to