TDI - Cant get what I want

It's frustrating to be in the position where I need a car, and know exactly what I want but I cant get it.

I would love to buy a TDI, but...

Passat TDI is not available with a manual tranny

I don't want a Jetta

I'd love a Golf GLS TDI, but the only upholstery available is cloth. Yechh. No leatherette even?

Any advice?

Reply to
GravyCat

I always try to buy a can when I don't NEED one. That way I can wait for what I want. Even with that and after several months the best the dealer could find was everything I wanted (NB TDI) but the sunroof and cloth seats. At least the seat heaters help take the sting out of the leatherette.

I try to start my car buying at least a year before I expect to need one, or a year before I really want one.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Plastic seat covers until the kids are older?

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I suggest buying the car you want & looking for different seats. I'm pretty sure a lot of the VWs (Jetta, Passant, Golf, Rabbit/Cabriolet, etc.) have interchangable seats. Perhaps if you post a direct question with the type of car you want (Golf) & asking what seats will fit, you'll get someone who has done the swap & knows what fits. If you're buying the car new, see if the dealer will swap out seats from another model (someone may want the cloth seats). ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Dude, you sound like me but I settled (for now) on a 99 Jetta TDI. I would love a Passat but not with an auto trans. I would buy a Cadillac only if it had a manual tranny (CTS-V), when are the automakers going to wise up. When shopping for a new truck, I looked for over a year and couldn't get what I wanted and settled for a F150 with a manual trans but I sacrificed a lot to get it.

The Jetta is nice, but I have some customizing to do for sure.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

They did. Most Americans can't even _drive_ a manual-transmission vehicle. Nevermind that they'd rather not be shifting anyway. See, shifting takes time away from really important tasks like yakking on the mobile phone, applying makeup, and reading. :-(

sd

Reply to
sd

and chrysler is designing a dash with several well known game boards embossed on the top so that drivers and passengers can enjoy the game[s] all the while being a left lane bandit totally unaware of the surrounding traffic

Reply to
euro930