TDI Fuel Question

As long as they can get one from one of the coasts, I am going to be getting a 2003 Jetta GLS TDI.

Question: I have never had a diesel before and am curious if there are any differences between Mobil, Shell, Quick Trip, Citgo, etc. and their diesel fuel that I should know about? Is it recommended to add any additives to Diesel fuel? What about in the winter?

Thank you for any advice,

Numan

Reply to
Numan

No problems. You do want to get your fuel from a location that sells a lot of it. All the brands are basically the same. Normally no additives are needed. You may want to add some anti-gel IF you are buying fuel in one area, especially in the fall or early winter, and are going to drive into an area where it is going to be al lot colder.

I have been all over the US in diesel VW's and the only time I got bad fuel was at a Mobile station at the entrance to Yellowstone park, and it was because I doubt if that station had sold any diesel in the last year the stuff was full of water. Hint, learn how to drain the water out of your fuel filter. Lucky I knew how, but I did not expect to need to do it at a camp site.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Good advice! Thank you.

Reply to
Numan

You can use any diesel, but do use an additive. For everything you want to know about the TDI, go to tdiclub.com and sign up (free) as a member. You can find the answers to about any TDI related question and a lot of people willing to help.

JEB

Reply to
JEB

I rent so my car will be outside this winter. What kind of gas treatment are you talking about? Have you ever heard of Seafoam?

Reply to
Numan

Out of curiosity, where are you located? It's pretty clear that there are huge differences in diesel fuel quality depending on location. I think it's pretty much a waste of money where I live.

I've been driving VW diesels since 1978, and in all that time I had one incident when the fuel "waxed" and would not flow, and that was over 20 year ago. My cars sit outside, and while my early TDs had block heaters, I have felt no need since my first TDI (99). Typically each winter I go to Canadian Tire and buy two bottles of diesel treatment, and add the first around Christmas (or when ever we get the first really cold snap) and the second one about a month later. I doubt that it's necessary, but after 25 years it's become a ritual.

One thing - I've been using VW's "synthetic" oil in all of my TDIs, and it makes a remarkable difference in how quickly the engine turns over on the coldest mornings.

I'm in southern Ontario, about an hour west of Toronto. The coldest nights here get down to about -25C (about -10F).

Reply to
Al Rudderham

I just went to that page. You are right! There is allot of good info there. Thank you.

Numan

Reply to
Numan

I think there are differences among fuels. I've read horror stories about Mobil and Shell concerning performance. Hess, Irving and Gulf's Diesel Select are all excellent diesel fuels. Like octane for gasoline, diesel fuel is rated for cetane. The higher number the better, though I don't think it's mandatory to label the cetane number on pumps. VW recommends 50, I think, which is pretty much impossible to get in the U.S. But 45 and up is ok, especially if you regularly use a good fuel additive (not only in winter).

In the winter, fuel sold in cold climates is mixed with kerosene to lower diesel's gel point. This also lowers fuel milage. I always use an additive in winter with anti-gel qualities just to be safe.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

Best place is one that allows you to pay at the pump. Most places that sell diesel in my area don't have that. :(

Winter can be a problem if you park the car outside overnight. Last winter we had a lot of TDI cars towed in for no-start issues. Turns out a lot of gas stations were selling diesel that wasn't able to handle the cold (never could narrow it down to one brand or one gas station). All we could do is thaw out the car inside the shop and sell them some fuel treatment.

Later.

Reply to
Pencilneck

I'm in Knoxville, TN. Last winter was much colder than it had been. I don't recall any TDI cars being towed in the winter before. I would agree with the "huge differences in diesel fuel quality depending on location" statement. Same holds true with gas as well.

Do dogs get stuck to fire hydrants, eh? I can't recall the temp ever getting that cold down here. Last winter was the first time in many years we had any real amount of snow.

Reply to
Pencilneck

I can't remember what the stuff is called, they have it in our parts dept. Every one who has used it swears by it though... I'll try to remember to find out tomarrow and let you know. Who knows, it may be Seafoam.

Reply to
Pencilneck

The stuff is called anti-gel. It comes in a number of brands and you can usually find it at truck stops and some autoparts stores. At the truck stop you are likely to find it in the jumbo size good for a couple of winters of normal driving. I currently have a bottle of PowerService brand. I have even seen it at WallyWorld.

If you buy from a reliable source that does a high volume, you don't need to worry. Any busy truck stop is a good bet on the road. Truckers won't buy from someone that is not reliable. In the old days it was much more of a problem. Today it is mostly just a problem with the low volume station that has not bought any diesel for a while at the beginning of winter.

BTW the US is finally getting some better fuel standards so in a few years (congress always delays anything good) our fuel will be cleaner and better than ever, almost up to the EU standards.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I spent my high school years in northern Ontario (5 hours north of Toronto) where we got a few nights each year when it dropped to -40C (-40F). But that was in the days before VW made diesels.

For the record, I've never seen a dog stuck to a fire hydrant. But I have seen lots of yellow snow. ;-)

Reply to
Al Rudderham

One thing to make clear. Do NOT, under any circumstances, use "gas" treatment in your diesel or you'll discover the cost of a new fuel injection system. Diesel fuel treatment is different. I've never seen one that was suitable for both gas and diesel engines (which does not mean that one doesn't exist). Make sure any product you put in your fuel tank says "diesel" on it.

Also beware that the "fuel line antifreeze" used in gas engines is normally methyl alcohol, and is not suitable for diesel engines.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Are you that old? ;-)

/Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Reading the TDI page, it was clear that a lot of stations in the north east part of the country did not have properly blended fuel. I've owned VW diesels since 1978 and only had problems but I think a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Use power service products for your fuel and you'll avoid most all problems. As others have said buy from high volume stations.

Joe R.

99.5 jetta tdi 110k and counting.
Reply to
Joe R

They started importing diesels here in the '80's eh??

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

Older...

My first VW was a 78 Rabbit Diesel "L", 48HP with 4 spd manual. (No wonder I like my TDI!) There were also a few 77 Rabbit Diesels around here, but 78 was the first year there was any volume. It was also the last year they were made in Germany. The 79s were made in Pennsylvania, and were like cheap ugly cousins that got rusty quick.

It wasn't my first new car, but it was the first I was happy with.

My favourite from that era was my 84 Jetta TD. It was the second year TDs were available in Canada, and the first year the option was priced reasonably.

Reply to
Al Rudderham