TDI muffler?sound

What do the TDI's sound like with a muffler mod.? Anyone heard one? I like hearing the engine and turbo sound on my '04, but thought it might sound good with a different muffler.

Reply to
Initnow

I don't know about the TDI, but most trucks use boosted diesels and personally I don't think they sound all that great.

Of course I don't think any car with a noisy muffler sounds great, it just sounds like it needs work.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I don't know about the TDI, but most trucks use boosted diesels and

I respectfully have to disagree! You take a Cummins, or Cat, or Mack, remove the muffler.....Ahhhhhh, sweet music. Shift it just right, with a load, man you are talking beautiful sounds. I will say, the Jake will certainly wake the dead without a muffler........... Now a car on the other hand, well IMO, it depends on the car and what muffler you use. I ain't crazy about the "buzz box" that has become so popular again on the four cyl.s, but hey, whatever ......... They like it. I was just wondering what the TDI's sound like, if anyone has put a different muffler on.

Reply to
Initnow

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Actually, what a lot of TDI owners do is remove the muffler completely. The turbo does a good job of muffling the sound, and without the muffler you can hear the turbo spool much better. Most people say to have the pipe exit straight out past the bumper, otherwise you can get a resonance.

- hoffer

Reply to
Hoffer

I had the exhaust on my 84 Jetta TD (yes, I know it's not the same as a TDI) snap off at the turbocharger. The sound was all high pitched whistle (no rumble or roar) - and was very unpleasant. I'd be careful what you do, or you might end up quite unhappy.

Reply to
Al Rudderham