The $10,000 A2 Jetta

Ugh...

I made the fatal mistake of totaling up all of the repair bills and fuel receipts for my Jetta tonight. It hasn't been a cheap car to keep running! The grand total for maintenance over the last 9 years has worked out to $5455.98 (not including fuel). So, that works out to 606.22/year. (Prior to

1994, everything was covered under warranty).

I guess in the long run, it is still cheaper to keep this car going than buying a new one, but when I total the bills, it makes me question my logic. If I didn't enjoy driving the car so much, I would definitely be shopping around!

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

When you figger that a new car payment for a decent car is around $400 a month, that doesn't look that bad at all.

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

That's about 30% more than what I have had to pay for maintenance on my

10-year old Golf (and would be almost 3 times as much had I not just recently replaced my timing belt, water pump, AC, and a few gaskets).

I still think that is quite inexpensive, though. Towards its end (i.e., before I gave it away), my last Subaru wagon cost me ~$1,500 a year. Do that four years in a row and you take notice.

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed

Well, 90% of the work has always been done by the dealer, and I tend to do allot of the nit-picky stuff that the dealer would charge an arm and a leg to do. But for stuff like oil changes, you know what, I am just gonna take to the dealer. I mean, heck, when you look at the amount of time it takes, the mess it makes and the fact that you can't get any documentation to back up the work history, it makes doing my own maintenance seem somewhat pointless. I mean, I will do it, but since I have no garage to do it in, it compels me that much more to have the work done.

But I do agree, it still isn't to bad cost wise. I know what other people have put into their GMs and this seems to be allot more reasonable. Besides, once she has been and gone to the body shop and I get my new Black headliner installed, as well as my alloy rims (when I finally buy them) she will be a really nice little A2.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Wolfie has about 278,000 on her...

She's getting up there in age...

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

My '87 Golf has cost me around $14,000 in maintenance in the 7 years I've owned her. That includes an engine rebuild to the tune of just under $2,000. Now in that time I've put 288,000 miles on her which works out to just under 5 cents a mile. I do all my own work so very little of that is labor paid to a mechanic. I'm currently at

447,000 miles. Do maintenance as directed by Mother Volkswagen and she'll last forever.

Todd Seattle,WA '86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 256,000 miles '87 Golf, Polar Silver. (boring work car) 447,000 miles

Reply to
racertod

That's the Spirit!

TBerk black headliner- Mmmmmmmm.