The new, cheap Jetta

We're shopping for a new city/commuter car, so we stopped at the local VW dealer to look at the new Jetta.

I knew that the Jetta had been "de-featured" for 2011, but I was astonished to see that the "base" model comes without a radio or air conditioning.

The salesman admitted that they don't actually expect to see any such models unless someone insists on ordering one.

I have to think that the only reason it exists is so VW can advertise its imaginary low price on their new TV commercials.

The S and SE versions look reasonable, but having been burned before I'm reluctant to buy any model in its first year of production.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

The base model "Trendline" in Canada does include AM/FM Single CD, 4 speaker radio, PW and PDL; and the "Trendline +" (for $1400 more) includes AC.

MSRP for each of the 5 trims, before engine options etc. are: Trendline - CAN$15,875, Trendline + - CAN$17,275, Comfortline - CAN$19,075, Sportline - CAN$23,300, and Highline - CAN$23,980.

Trendline and Trendline + both only come with 2.0L, 115 horsepower,

5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic®

Comfortline has a choice of 2.0L, 115 horsepower, 5-speed manual or

6-speed automatic with Tiptronic® 2.5L, 170 horsepower, 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic® 2.0 TDI Clean Diesel, 140 horsepower 6 speed-manual or 6-speed DSG automatic with Tiptronic®

Sportline only comes with 2.5L, 170 horsepower, 5-speed manual or

6-speed automatic with Tiptronic®

Highline comes with 2.5L, 170 horsepower, 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic® 2.0L TDI Clean Diesel, 140 horsepower 6 speed-manual or 6-speed DSG automatic with Tiptronic®

Stuart H.

2009 Tiguan Highline
Reply to
Stuart H.

Models are produced to match the markets that they are to be sold in. For instance, models to be sold in Spain have very much lower specs than the same model designed for Germany. Hence also the price differences. Just because a model has the same badge doesn't by any means indicate that it is the same car.

Reply to
krak

VW makes a stripped model and the SCCA racers buy them to race. Because they have to be factory. If it comes with air it has to stay in some cases.

Reply to
DogDiesel

"DogDiesel" wrote in news:idgs0u$smr$ snipped-for-privacy@dogdiesel.eternal-september.org:

The interior is cheaper looking than previous models. Why don't you see if you can find a left over 2010 model, if you must have a Jetta

Reply to
Jack