Timing belt replacement...

I've heared that the 1.8T engine's timing belt needs to be replaced every 3 years or 60,000 KM (37,500 Mi) Mine is a 2001 20V. Others have said it was good until 5 yrs 100,000km (60,000 Mi). I couldnt find it in the owners manual, and the dealer doesnt know how to respond to that ( kind of weird, but i don't know) Any suggestions?? Thanks

Reply to
M Power

If you dig in the owners manual I believe it says replacement should occur at 105,000 miles (At least it does for my '03 1.8T Passat. However, there have been a number of documented timing belt failures way below this mark, causing a castrophic loss of the top end of the engine (some as low as 65,000) Others have gone as far as 150,000 Mi without ever replacing it, so your milage may vary.

Common school of thought suggests changing it at $60,000 It's not a complicated procedure if you have the right tools and take your time. The ClubB5 guys have done them assembly line style at get togethers in under 2 hours.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Telep

Not so common school unless it's the school of flim-flam, salesmen, snake-oil and other sleazy tricks. For $60,000 (SIC) I would do a timing belt all day.

:-)

MERRY CHRISTMAS and A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Reply to
Peter Parker