Passat won't start

I live in the cold canadian prairies and my 99 Passat 1.8T was working fine up until yesterday. I went to start it and and it started for 5 secs then stopped. after that, it would not start again. It rotates with some decent power and I can here it firing a little, but just will not start. I have tried boosting it with cables and still not luck, sounds like it wants to start, just wont. Not sure if this is related to the cold or not, I cannot plug in a block heater like most people have but I don't normally use one anyways. Anybody have any ideas what to check??

TIA Darren

Reply to
Tado

frozen fuel lines? maybe some ice in there?

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

Thats what I was thinking, but my other car (honda) I do not run any gasline antifreeze in it and its lines with freeze also if that was the case, just guessing? I guess its too late to put in gasline antifreeze now, as it needs to be run through

Reply to
Tado

How many miles on the timing belt? They are most prone to fail when it's cold and the oil is thick. Other than that, maybe it's flooded, if so a new set of spark plugs would tell.

Reply to
Woodchuck

There is about 100,000km on the current timing belt, planning on changing itthis spring. If it was broken, I would notice and not hear the engine giving the occasional fire right? Any recommendation on type of plugs if I try and change those? Thanks again

Woodchuck wrote:

Reply to
Tado

Well I changed the spark plugs and gave it a good boost, got it started after that, thanks! The old sparkplugs had some oil on them and smelled of fuel, wonder what caused that initially? Thanks again, Darren

Reply to
Tado

Reply to
Woodchuck