Timing belt tensioner.....

I just put my head back on my recently acquired 84 jetta(1.7L). If I remember correctly, when I was taking the head off, I didn't take the timing belt tensioner off until after the head was out of the car. I am now assembeling everything back on but ran into trouble with the t-belt tensioner(of all things!!). It wouldn't go on. There was not enough space b/w the end of the bolt and the frame of the car. Is it suppose to do that? I don't think I tried to take it off while head was in car . I had to raise the engine a bit with a jack to get it in. Is that a sign of deteriorating engine mounts or is it just a very tight clearance? I didn't notice any knocks or clunks when accelerating hard or decel. I Kinda felt around w/ a screw driver as instructed by Haynes.(yes, yes, I know. It is in three "sections" now because I got angry when I stripped one of the oil pan mounting bolt holes on the ?rear main seal carrier? by the tranny(how could I fix that until I get a chance to remove the tranny? JB weld? Epoxy? I can't fit a drill & die perfectly straight into the hole as the tranny is in the way.)The mounts flex somewhat when I use the screwdriver.

Thank you, Jerritt

...Installation is the reverse of removal...

Reply to
Mr J

The tensioner thing sounds very familiar, been there, done that! The mounts on the a1 cars were kind of crude and when they go bad you get lotts of engine vibrations and noise (more then normal). It's hard to tell untill you get them in your hand and can really see them.

Jo Bo

Reply to
Joe R

I did the very same thing w/ my 84 Jetta. Also jacked the engine up to get the tenioner back on. Hope your water pump never goes bad. I had a hell of a time getting the 4 bolts off the bracket that overlays the pump. It would be better to take the injection pump off for better access.

Thanks for bringing the memories back....

WhiteDog

Reply to
WHTDOG469