Transmission Fluid Level

Hello Guys, How difficult is it to check Transmission fluid level on

99 VW Jetta? I would like to check it and have no idea how to do it? Thank you
Reply to
Rollers Loft+

Auto or standard?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Automatic Transmission

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

SOL...

Reply to
Peter Parker

It requires you having a scanner since it must be checked at roughly 33*C

Reply to
Woodchuck

There is a thread on VWVortex in the forums, I think it's under Technical/Transmissions. Anyway, it has a pretty good write up which I plan on doing as soon as my 03 Jetta gets to 10K miles. The only part I dont understand is why is a scanner necesarry when refilling? Why can't I just measure what comes out and refill with that amount? Assuming I haven't had any leaks.

TIA.

Reply to
ddh

You can do that assuming it wasn't low! And if it is low it's covered by VW power train warranty. So, there's no need to mess with it. When the temp gets to about 30*C it must start to drip out the check tube, if not you must add.

Reply to
Woodchuck

AND assuming the right amount was installed at the factory. This is a dangerous assumption, in my experience.

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse